Thursday, October 15, 2020

WEEK EIGHT - B

For my concept sketches, I decided to sketch out two of the Halloween ideas: the scary scarecrow and masked vampire. 



I added in some masked ghosts and more detail to the scarecrow. From the feedback by one of my groupmates, I tried to create more of a scene for the little vampire. I had a lot of empty space though from the vertical layout so I included a title. I'm still torn between which one I want to choose. I think both of them could be a good idea. Even though I started with the scarecrow, I think the vampire is a little silly and cute and matches better with the trick or treating article. 


2 comments:

  1. Delanie,

    I feel like I enjoy both of your illustration conceptually. Though I do feel like the speech bubbles take away from the composition. With them included it feels more like a comic rather something that's supposed to accompany an article. I think with the speech bubble it's "over-explaining" what you're trying to convery, if that makes any sense. Hopefully when paired with the article everything will come together for the viewer.

    I think for something like an article illustration it should lead the viewer to ask questions because it will want the viewer to read the article to get the whole picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Delanie,

    I find both sketches to be effective as they complement the article in a nice way. I personally like the scarecrow one better and find it effective because of the dark and grungy nature it has. To me it represents the scary part of Halloween more than the other one, which focuses on the lighter side of Halloween. I do agree with Rebecca that the speech bubbles kind of take away from the piece, but I do not think it completely takes away from it. Try playing around with different ways to incorporate that text, maybe you'll find a better way. The speech bubbles work better in the second sketch because you can see where the text is coming from, the kid.

    The second illustration I believe has a more literal connection to the article because it is directly showing the negative effects that Covid has on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete

FINAL SHORT STORY

  Here is my final short story layout! Professor Mata really enjoyed my visual style and was glad I was able to figure out how I want to ill...