Monday, November 30, 2020

WEEK FIFTEEN - A

It was a slow start at the beginning of the break, but I am very grateful for Professor Mata's advice as her input helped me find a direction. After sending her my three styles I struggled with she gave me links to some other styles and approaches to drawing digitally.

Here is the response and email she sent me:

I think some of the problems you are having is that you are not building colors. Think of how you would use pastels you don’t just use one color to make brown you build up color. This will help create texture within your illustrations. Conte is a great way to work, it works well with textured paper or colored paper. I believe there is a way to make your paper more course in procreate. Otherwise, your concepts and compositions are working well. 

Here are some illustrators to look at.

https://www.printmesomecolor.com/2020/05/28/painting-in-procreate-how-to-paint-a-landscape/

 

https://www.instagram.com/kokooma_/

She uses textures in a wonderful way.

 

This link shows different styles

https://uxdesign.cc/10-inspiring-illustration-styles-from-the-best-illustrators-of-2020-89b42f08ba81


The first link on the tutorial of how to paint in Procreate is what helped me the most. I began to understand more how to build the colors and add texture. 


I started again with the ice cream igloo, but this time I focused on the layering of colors (I also decided to do spreads so I had more room). 





While I think things were getting better, I still was not happy with the end result. I still wasn't seeing the texture and the contrast was not there either. So I worked back into the piece again really focusing on the layering of color to create depth (I also used a pastel tool too).


I now felt confident in my direction and so throughout the break, I continued to work on completing more spreads while keeping my style the same. 

Here are the ones I have completed so far:






My goal is by Thursday to have all of the spreads complete and then work on the covers, end pages, and title page (I'm thinking of a night sky cloud pattern to reinforce the dream, night-time feeling).

No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL SHORT STORY

  Here is my final short story layout! Professor Mata really enjoyed my visual style and was glad I was able to figure out how I want to ill...