Tuesday, September 29, 2020

WEEK SIX - A

 

THE ZANKEL SCHOLARSHIP ILLUSTRATOR

The illustrator I chose to comment on is 2011 recipient Wankel Scholar Paige Vickers. 


I chose this piece as I am drawn to the mix of realistic photos and line work and the repetition elements throughout the composition. Even though the objects seem to be floating on the white space, the illustrator creates a sense of depth with the minimizing mountains and hills that travel your eyes backward and around the scene. 

I have been trying to incorporate both analog and digital art into my work (as seen in my last two assignments using sand and printed out maps). Even though the artists only used the photographs as a smaller percentage compared to the digital drawings, it creates a strong focal point and contrast for the work. I'm not sure if I would apply for the completion at this exact moment as I am continuing to strengthen my skills still, but as I keep exploring my illustration style I would love to participate one day. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After completing the one-page review on the three TedTalks, I began working on the 100 Hands Assignment. I will admit, the challenge is pretty daunting but we all have to start somewhere. I had drawn some hands last semester for my sculpture class so I tried my best to use the techniques I learned from sketching for that assignment. My professor emphasized focusing on the negative space rather than the parts of the hand itself. Also, set out planes and angles to have a general idea of the directions. I started to look at my hand and began practicing on sketching out the negative space.

I created a 10 x 10" canvas and drew each hand on a separate layer larger and then minimized them to sit side by side. I started to get frustrated as I started because I was struggling with capturing the poses, but I told myself to keep moving forward as I have many more to do and hopefully, as I go on they will improve.







No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL SHORT STORY

  Here is my final short story layout! Professor Mata really enjoyed my visual style and was glad I was able to figure out how I want to ill...