Thursday, September 24, 2020

WEEK FIVE - B



On Wednesday I started working on the final piece for the project. I've worked through a lot of ideas so far, but I feel like I found a unique solution to this assignment. First, I found a photo I wanted to use for his portrait. I then opened the photo in Word and lowered the opacity so I could see my tracing easier. I then printed out a few copies of the photo to work with. 


 

From there I began drawing over the images trying to find identifying lines and shapes for the stencil. I referred back to the video I shared in the previous post to see the best way to block out his features so he is still recognizable. After tracing with a pencil I then used a sharpie to color in the areas completely so I had a more clear visual before I began cutting.

     

I then worked with an exacto knife cutting out the image so I had a stencil to then trace over the map before cutting my map.


I'm glad I did a test run before cutting the map because there were some parts that didn't appear the way I had hoped. For the map piece, I want to make sure I adjust the mouth and the eye to the left. They filled into much and are not as clear as I wanted them to be. Also, the center of the shirt is completely detached from the neck so I want to make sure I leave some connection around his chin and or shoulder. 

I used the practice stencil to then trace onto the back of the map. I positioned him a little over to the side to add a little bit of visual weight to the composition. I used only a pencil for this step as I didn't want anything to show through the map side. 

     

Here I have a small section of the final cutout. I think it is coming along well. I'm thinking of doing two submissions for the assignment as I have two ideas for the background to lay the stencil on. 


 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL SHORT STORY

  Here is my final short story layout! Professor Mata really enjoyed my visual style and was glad I was able to figure out how I want to ill...